Logic

Thomas - Chesapeake, Virginia

One of the worst feelings I have ever endured is to be lost. Not just like I do not know where my parents are but to not know who anything about the world around me. When I was in fourth grade I had to endure this feeling every day. I had just moved to yet another new school and I had already ended up on the bad side of the big bully and to make matters worse, due to a mix-up I was the only kid in my class that went to the G.A.T.E (Gifted And Talented Education) program, separating me even farther from my peers. It was during this time that I discovered one of my most important beliefs. I found that logic could give me the guide I needed to find myself and stop me from ever feeling that lost again.

Ironically despite my firm belief my first major use of logic turned out to be the worst decision of my life, one that I would live to regret for years to come. I decided to kill off my emotions. The reasoning behind this extreme action was simple, many of my peers were teasing and bullying me to see me react and my emotions were causing me to react. So I decided to stop feeling my emotions. Now this is not an easy thing to do, and I was never quite able to perfect it but I got good enough so that I stopped reacting at all to my feelings. This had quite a few negative side effects, such as losing both the good and the bad feelings, halting my emotional development for a time, and every once in a while being forced to let all of my emotions out at once in the form of me being in a horrible mood for weeks at a time.

So my first major experiment with logic was a complete failure, but I did not realize this at the time, all I realized was that the teasing had finally stopped and I was not feeling lost any more. I had found an amazing tool, a guideline of sorts, it was infinitely adaptable, and could be applied to almost any situation. I began to experiment with logic, first with puzzles, then with more and more complex situations. I found I could take almost any problem, break it down into smaller issues, then solve each small issue separately to solve the overall problem. I also was able to see the connections between things, and how causes correlate with results.

Now in application this meant that I got very good at math very quickly, I could often solve problems without the formulas memorized simply because I understood the logic behind how the problem was solved. I could fix things I had never seen before, and could intuitively understand how things work. Subjects that confuse many people, such as physics, make perfect sense to me because I had already gotten used to thinking in a purely logical way.

The most amazing thing about logic is that when I had realized my original mistake I was able to use my more perfected form of logic to find a solution. It was a problem like no other but using the logic I had used to create the problem originally I was able to make many strives back towards being social. It was during this time that I began using logic to explain abstract principles such as beauty, and I found a talent for poetry.

Logic is a powerful tool and which when used properly can help you never become lost. It gave me a sense of identity and purpose and I believe that without logic I would still be lost in the fog of doubt which had almost sunk me all those years ago.