The Power of Imagination

Claudine - San Diego, California

“This I Believe”

I believe in the power of imagination. Our imagination can take us anywhere we want, whenever we want. It may happen at our own will, or it can take us away unexpectedly.

Beginning at a young age, I have put my imagination to excessive use. Growing up in the Philippines as an only child for the first nine years of my life was lonely. Sure, I had plenty of friends at school, but the boundaries were set at the school gates. The Philippines was a dangerous place to live, and my parents did not allow me to play with other children on the streets, or even play at a friend’s house. From weekday afternoons to long, hot Saturdays, I relied on entertaining myself with my Barbie dolls and Lego blocks. Five minutes after I would get bored, I would look around the room for things I could play with. Looking back at my childhood now, I realize that I hardly played with toys. Most of the time I played with things I would find around the house. I grabbed blankets, boxes and extra fabric from my great aunt’s room, anything I could use. Oh, and books! I would read lots and lots of fairytale books. I would sit in the middle of the room with all the things I gathered, and just let my imagination roll. I let it take me away. In my mind, I have been in more places than anyone in this world has ever traveled; from sailing the seven seas to running around the mysterious streets of Agra bah. Upon reaching my adulthood, I realized that the power of imagination can motivate me to fulfill all my hopes, dreams and future endeavors. Now that I have grown up, I am glad that I was forced to use my imagination to its fullest from early on.

I believe that the power of imagination is essential in our lives. The power of imagination can lead us on adventures beyond your wildest dreams. It is not so much a matter of “playing” for entertainment as a child, but is more about opening our minds to new and different things. I consider the power of imagination a gift, because not everyone has the ability to make something out of objects they see, create characters with people they meet, and explore in their minds of things they hope for in the future. There are those who are completely stuck in reality, those who believe that “things are what they are.” I believe that we were all born into the world with the gift of imagination, but we somehow lose it as we get older. Is this the reason why imaginary friends no longer exist to those who had them in their early years of childhood? Or even why we stop believing in Santa Claus, or the Tooth Fairy? It is interesting however, that these fictional characters begin to exist again once we have children of our own. We can still be as imaginative and as adventurous as we were when we were younger. It saddens me that the new generation relies completely on new and advancing technology for entertainment: videogames, text messaging, You-Tube and Myspace. What is happening to our imaginations?

We cannot expect to live our lives to the fullest without having an open mind. There are adventures destined for us if we let our imagination lead the way. I believe that our imagination has the power to create reality, to widen our insights and to convince ourselves to go out into the world and make things happen, take risks, and share ideas whether this leads us to traveling around the world, jumping off a plane, or expressing our brilliance in creating ideas and inventions. I believe that we must keep our imagination connected and fill our minds with hopes, dreams and fantasies, and as long as we connect these with reality, we can turn them into real adventures. The power of imagination can make anything happen. This, I believe.