Yes we can

Driss - Miami, Florida

Yes we can

As I turned my head back for the last time, I felt a breeze of hope on my face. It was the final hour. Last call for the same but there was no one to order. The road was long. The sky was gray. It felt like the stars had left and the moon was too sad to cast it shadow on what became the bay of tears.

They stood side by side. A long line as far as the mind can understand. Head down they had left everything behind. Their dreams, ambitions, memories and smiles of the past.

But like in fairytales, when all was lost. When people got tired to ask and forgot how to speak. When life lost it meaning by loosing its color. They turned their head for the last time. They wanted to freeze that final moment. They wanted to capture the eternal second. That’s when they felt the breeze of hope. A breeze of words spoken by a man that ignited the crippled candle inside each broken sole of this nation.

Tonight, so many of us cried, smile and grabbed our faced with both hands to hug our bruised smiles. Tonight, when all was lost, one man stood to renew our hope. One man glued back the shuddered glass and filled it with dreams of tomorrow.

One man and a nation joined hands tonight to plant the seed of the final hour. Tonight we cried tears of joy and watered the seed knowing it will growth tall and strong. Like in the glorious past the tree will rise to highest sky. Like a beacon, the tree will bring back the moon and the stars that had left in the final hour.

Tonight, let those who are present tell the absents. Let the story of tonight be written on napkins in small restaurants across this country. Let the story of tonight be forever stored in blogs and decorate web pages across the world. Let the story of the one man and the nation who said “Yes we can” be remembered forever. Let the story of the son of the African immigrant and the nation of blacks, whites, Arabs, Asians and Latinos be remembered by all. Let the story of the man who united Christians, Muslims, Jews and all of those that said I believe be told.

Every now and then history is made. Monuments, towers and bridges are forged from earth to stand whiteness to the greatness of the moment. Tonight, the story of one man and the nation who raised their head and marched for a better future will be one of those moments.

As I turned my head and looked back for the last time, my eyes were blinded by the light. A light so pure cause by a smiled. A smile of a man and a nation that finally regained their desire to dream of a better tomorrow.

Today, I renew my hope for a better future. Today, I join the ranks with so many others who believe in change. As many before us have, we will stand behind the man who told us to believe and rebuild our broken dreams.

Generations to come will remember us as the brave souls of the bay of tears. The brave souls of the nation that came together to be part of history. A nation that shouted “Yes we can” on a night like no other.