nomination process

jack - butte, Montana
Age Group: 65+

Our election process is not the problem.

The nomination process is !

Our two-party system has devolved into a three way contest with race and gender overtones

Democrats and Republicans, Tories and Labour, right wing and left wing, conservative and liberal all have lost meaningThe dime’s worth of difference between the two parties, adjusted for inflation, is more relevant than ever before

When we consider that courts select jury panels with a form of lottery. It might be well to consider the use of a lottery to select nominees for office.

For example, if a lottery were held to nominate candidates for presidency. We might sell tickets to anyone who could type a Social Security number onto his ticket stub. Later a drawing for the panel could consist of picking 24 winners of the lottery. Ticket sales, besides paying for the lottery would provide protection for the winners and their families and provide a slush fund of equal proceeds to each winner Between the time of tje lottery, and the primary voting conducted by all states on the same day.

Those winners who choose to proceed to the election could advertise to make themselves known to the public.Each are on equal footing and there would be little temptation to use funds on issues like gender and race

If a candidate uses personal wealth or accepts donations from sponsors the candidate would have to acknowledge such assistance

If necessary, several primary elections could be held to distill the panel to several candidates ready for a general electionThe penultimate election could also provide for the vice presidency or the race for that office