Thought, Feeling, and Emotion

Mitchael - Fort Collins, Colorado

Thought, Feeling, and Emotion

About nine years ago, an uncle I had named Chuck, committed suicide by sticking a gun into his mouth. Chuck was a sensational and inspiring man. He was someone that I had looked up to when I was either lonely or confused. Chuck was also lonely and had a frustrating childhood when he was growing up. He never thought about the good things that he had in his life, and he could not erase the bad memories of his painful child hood. “If you deliberately keep thinking less of what you are capable of being, then I warn you that you’ll be unhappy for the rest of your life.” –Abraham Maslow

A couple of weeks after the incident, I soon found out that he was gone. No goodbye, no warning, nor any reason that could have warned us about what was going on. The Thanksgiving before this tragedy was the last memory I had left of him. I was scared, because I’d never really known that anyone in my family could just suddenly disappear. I kept thinking that maybe my mom, or my dad, or one of my brothers would die unexpectedly. Every time I thought about him, the sadness started to suck the life and the happiness out of me like a leech as it drains the blood out of its’ prey.

A couple of years later one of my best friends and I fell through a frozen lake up in Frisco, Colorado. This event was the scariest memory of a sheer life and death experience. It was a fight for our lives to try and keep above the surface or be frozen to death or drowned. Confusion enveloped my brain and started to make this horrific event worsen. The brain is like an over-exaggerating child. My mind kept making up random thoughts, which made my body desire to lose control. I felt what I thought was my body temperature decreasing and the dampness of my clothes made swimming above the surface harder and harder. Those thoughts were hurting me, and were trying to make me lose hope. It was like swimming with dumbells enclosed around my feet. Soon, we managed to crawl out, and pass this horrendous test.

I believe that a thought changes the emotion of an individual. Emotions are feelings fueled by different thoughts to make the body react in different ways. That is what emotion is. Every smile, tear, and frown, from happiness to sadness, love to hatred, are all feelings that have changed the way I am and my personality to make me a better person. Every memory that I have shows an authentic imagery through an emotion to explain how I feel about someone or something. When you smile, what are you thinking about to make you feel this way?