I believe in living life to the fullest

Peter - Fort Collins, Colorado
Themes: carpe diem

This I believe

On my high school soccer team there is this kid named Kevin. He is a nice kid but he is scared to get hurt. That’s why he played soccer instead of Football. During one of our games a game against a big cross town rival one of the players on the other team got on a breakaway. Kevin ran after him and caught the opposing player as he near our goal. As Kevin and the other kid neared the goal our goalie came out. Our goal keeper dived for the ball and the next thing I saw everyone was on the ground. The opposing player was the first to get up and walk away then our goalie got up with the ball. But Kevin just lay there moaning. The referee jogged over to Kevin to see if he was okay then he called our coach on to the field. Our coach carried Kevin off the field. Ten minutes later when I was substituted. When I got off the field I saw Kevin laying there with a bunch of firemen and ambulance people around him. They loaded him up into the ambulance and drove off. The game ended we lost by one goal. At our next practice we were told that Kevin had broken his growth plate in two places. He would be out for the rest of the season and he might not be able to play next year. I believe that you should live life to the fullest even though anything can happen to anyone. I take hope and caution from this. Because good or bad things can happen to me or anyone at any time. And when for a moment I think about Kevin I feel empathy for him. But then I think isn’t this a good reminder that bad things happen but good things happen to. For every person who is saved there is a person who is not saved. It is truly the ying and yang. A consistent tug war never ceasing until the end of our days. And why should you live your life to the fullest because life isn’t worth living if it is not lived to the fullest.

And though Kevin will recover and be able to play again. He might again become injured. But then just as likely he won’t and even if injury come knocking on his door he will likely recover from it. What I have learned is if you don’t have the courage to get up after a fall and you go hide in a closet what is the point of living. That’s why I believe you should live life to the fullest even though anything can happen to you.