I Believe in Love

Maureen - Fort Collins, Colorado
Themes: love

I believe in love. I believe that by giving out a hug, a smile, or a simple thank you, you can make someone’s day. When I receive a loving gesture, I think about it long after it ever happened. It is knowing that somebody loves you, and wants to be with you, that gives you a sense of hope and compassion. These motions of kindness can do unknown wonders for people. It could pull somebody’s thoughts out of the dark so they can shine on in the light. It could change someone’s entire life and perspective. Just think; what could a little love do for the world.

In 6th grade, I was diagnosed with depression. I had a mindset that caused me to think I had no friends. I felt like the only people who loved me were my family. I was useless and unwanted; nobody cared if I was there or gone. These were just a few of the miserable thoughts streaming through my mind.

My counselor started the ripple effect in my life by showing me kindness and love. She showed me how kind people could be and what it can do to change a life. I started looking at life in a much more positive was. I began to socialize with people at school and realized it was my fault I was unhappy. I was excluding myself. I had plenty of friends right in front of me; I was just looking too far in the distance. With one person’s love, I was changing to become the optimistic person I am now.

To change my day, someone can simply ask, “I’m sorry you’re upset, can I help?” Although my response may be as negative as my day, it can still have an impact because someone showed me compassion. A true friend knows when somebody is upset, by just looking at their eyes. I know when I see that, I try extremely hard to show that I care. I find my true friends when I am upset; when they look at me and say, “What can I do to help you?” and then give me a hug. That always makes my day a little better, no matter what made it bad in the first place.

These simple gestures are not complicated at all and yet our world can sometimes be a very malicious place. I believe people need to spread more love and less hate. Dirty looks and words jump around way more than they need to. What if all those negative acts became positive ones? If the acts were truly genuine, life would change for everyone.

Turning around someone’s life is only a smile or a hug away, so why not make that change? I believe that we should reach out to others; as we would like to be reached out to.