Mountains and Hills and Speed Bumps…Oh My

Lindsey - Wilmette, Illinois

Driving down the street to my friend’s block party, the little car in front of us practically stops in order to get over a little speed bump. To that little car, it was a hill the size of a house. We cruise over twice as fast as he does. The little car picks up speed again just to slow down over the next speed bump. My dad takes a left turn to avoid being stuck behind this guy any longer. Looking back, I think that this car showed me a lot more than just a blinking red taillight. I believe that upon reaching the summit of a mountain, don’t look at how far you’ve come, look at how far you have to go. This car slowed down because of the speed bump, which is like an obstacle in real life, only to pick up speed and get right back on track. The fact that my dad had to turn to get away from this guy also meant a little more to me. It shows that you may be slowing people down when you try to work out your own problem, but that person will figure out a way to get over it and get past you.

There is this television show that I love called Charmed. In the last season there was an episode where a soldier came home from war and got into a little trouble. The banker wouldn’t give him a loan he needed, because he was an ex-con, even if he was a veteran. In the end, the man’s past caught up with him, and not the good past. He tried to rob the bank because that was the only way that he could get any money. The banker only saw that he was an ex-con; he didn’t know what he was going to do with the money, which was to pay the bills and support his child. The veteran was nearing the top of the mountain, but decided to go back to where he had started by robbing the bank.

At my school, I play on the school field hockey team. Last year we were pretty good, but this year, as eigth graders, we’re burning up. We’ve had a loss-free season and one tie. Last year, Lake Bluff creamed us, 4-0. We were all afraid this was going to be the outcome. This season,we hadn’t lost a game since, but that was just like last year. We were dwelling in the past instead of thinking about how much better we were this year and stood a pretty good chance against Lake Bluff. The Lake Bluff game came, and I am playing goalie first. Hoping I wouldn’t mess up, I raise my hand and the game begins. Right off the bat, we are taking the ball down the field. Our coach switched me to defense for the rest of the game so I quickly took the goalie gear off. By halftime we were winning and it wasn’t close. It was fun running back to defense while joking with the goalie about the score (“Another one?” she’d say). I could tell the opposing team was getting frustrated. They also had played the seventh grade team before, but they still had a lot of energy. We won the game and we were all excited because the one team that had beat us badly, we beat.

Every new school year meeting a new teacher is like the reaching the snowy summit of a mountain. It doesn’t matter what happened before the top, because you still have the whole way back down. You can be whatever you want to be because this new teacher has nothing on you. They don’t know you and won’t really get to know you until the middle of the year. The troublemaker from last year could try really hard and receive an “A” on his/her first paper. The slacker may have never learned his/her lesson and doesn’t even turn it in. The troublemaker is on his/her way back down the mountain to enjoy a nice cup of cocoa while the slacker can barely breathe, idling at the top of the mountain.

Dwelling in the past may get you a good grade in social studies class, but ot doesn’t lead a brighter future. Upon reaching the summit of a mountain, don’t look at how far you’ve come, look at how far you have to go. This, I believe.