I Believe In Trust

Matthew - Fort Collins, Colorado

I Believe In Trust

The world is a place full of unknowns and sometimes, I do not know whether to believe some of the things that are out there. I question it, but I am not sure whether or not if it is true. There is no way I can tell if my friends will spread my secrets I entrusted them with. There is no way of being able to tell whether or not my friends will follow through on their promises. But sometimes I just have to trust in them. Sure, everything may not turn out as great as I had planned sometimes, but it is trust that gives me something to live for. It is trust that builds stronger friendships and some of my best friends have come from me trusting in them. I always have someone to talk to when I have problems and I can trust that they will be able to help me bare them with me. I believe in being trustworthy to friends.

I have always strived to be the kind of person who can keep their promises and can understand what is going on with each individual and to be able to find out what they need in order to succeed. I am involved in a few sports and in the sports, I play at a fairly competitive level and I constantly have to beat out my teammates, usually my friends; just to get playing time. Yes, I want to beat them and yes it is important for me to do well. But one thing that is not okay is when competition gets so competitive, that others start to tear each other down just because they are jealous of what the other has and what they do not have. I may not be quite as good as some of the other players on the team, but when they succeed, I do not tear them down but instead I give them encouragement or say to them “nice job”. It is reassuring to me that I know that when my friends and I try out for something, we will be okay with whatever the outcome.

I have been so blessed to have the group of friends around me that I do. We have a trust in each other that can not be broken by anything. I have always felt like that I have been trustworthy and that my friends can count on me. I love the feeling I get when friends come to me and entrust me with many things because that is showing me that they trust me and that I am a true friend. Trust has given me the friends that I have, and I would never trade that for anything else in the world. This is why I believe in the power of trust in friendships.