The Little Person inside – This I Believe Essay

Stefanie - Colorado

In gym class, whenever a new sport is introduced, you hear moans, groans, and “Aww, I suck at _______________ (sport’s name here).” Obviously, those people don’t think that they can play this sport – they just don’t want to. However, it may be this – they just do not know that if they try, they may find a hidden talent within themselves and just don’t know themselves.

That’s what I believe – that people don’t often know themselves. People can go their whole lives with a hidden talent never uncovered. The reason is that people simply don’t have faith in themselves – they don’t think that they ‘have the skills’, or they decide that they hate it right on the spot. They do not try, and they never learn about the talent. I do not know myself often, and softball is good proof.

I recall when I first started softball – I mostly played 2 positions, catcher and outfield, and I thought that that was all I’d ever play. When I came to Loveland that summer to play in a recreational league, that is what I had embedded in my mind – I’d play catcher and outfield, nothing else. That was the way it was… until that one day.

That one day at practice, the coach (who will be one of my favorite coaches) decided to let me play at second, and I disapproved. I was afraid of infield – catchers had gear, and outfield has to usually run up to the ball, so I was safe! I underestimated myself, and did not believe in myself.

I got used to second base fairly quickly, in fact, and played it well. I had also caught a pop fly ball my first time at that position in a game, and that is hard to accomplish. That experience taught me a good lesson.

I have now taken on new challenges. I will try to play all positions, and I am even going to tackle a new sport: basketball. Maybe I do not know myself well enough to hear my position – like baseball stars have – and maybe I do not know myself to hear a new sport calling for me.

Anyone can think that they know themselves – but the truth is, probably no one does. Whether it is a quarterback who would make a great pitcher but never gave it a try, or that singer who would become an award winning chef, many people don’t try to find that talent.

True, a few athletes, chefs, ect. may not agree that there is a hidden talent in them – they may have already found it. Yet, we could have more talented people – cartoonists, chefs, shortstops, no matter – if people took the time to listen and learn about themselves.