Music Strengthens the Soul

Kaden - Fort Collins, Colorado

Music Strengthens the Soul

As I walked past rows of tables, the nursing home’s residents said and did nothing; my presence went seemingly unnoticed. I sat down on the hard bench of the piano and began to play. The notes penetrated through the deep silence, and the cold atmosphere began to warm as my song progressed. The residents started to close their eyes and absorb the soft melodies and harmonies, finding comfort in the piano’s sound. My playing helped the residents find peace. My music could be kept in their memory, a haven of comfort in their heart. I believe that music strengthens the soul.

The summer after second grade I started to play piano. Ever since then I have been playing piano for nursing homes. Music has become a vital part of my life and who I am, because it has the power to put my problems in perspective, motivate me, and comfort me. I want to bring those feelings to people who may no longer have purpose. The soul is the fundamental part of every person, and I believe that music strengthens it and helps it grow. With all the different people on our planet, I believe that the soul is the only thing that brings us all together. The source of music is the soul, and the melodies we hear are just other people’s souls talking to our own. Because of this, music can reach everyone, no matter what their age. I experience this directly in the nursing homes I visit.

Unfortunately, some people do not appreciate music. I know some people that think of music as only a background to their life. They do not understand the creativity of jazz improvisation, the brilliant notation of Bach, the beautiful culmination of a symphony orchestra, or the passionate intensity of Rachmaninoff. Some people seem to be born with an enjoyment of music, others can grow an appreciation, and some will never take pleasure in songs. Music can and should add another dimension to our lives.

Music heals, motivates, and comforts our innermost being. Music is universal, important to all of us but interpreted and valued individually. This I believe: music strengthens the soul.