The Best

Sydney - Fort Collins, Colorado

The Best

“If man does his best what else is there?”-General George S. Patton. I believe in DOING YOUR BEST, and I’ll tell you why.

“No man fails who does his best.” -Orison Swett Marden. Just recently I traveled down to Arizona for a soccer tournament. We continued through the tournament undefeated until we lost in the semifinals. That game I came off the field proud of myself and my team. We worked our hardest and I knew we tried our best. Even though we lost to the scoreboard I felt we had won in our character. We gave that game our best and that was all we could do. If we gave up when things got tough we would have lost the satisfaction of knowing we did all we could.

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or and hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever” -Lance Armstrong. Soccer is a high activity sport. There is constant running up and down the field playing offense and defense. When I am on the field it is easy to get lazy when I am tired. When I slow down, I am letting my team down. When I push hard the pain is immediately cancelled out when I know I made a difference to help my team. The temporary pain is much less than the pain of knowing I let my team down. What could have happened if I tried harder? I would much rather have my muscles ache temporarily than carry regrets.

“Don’t be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do all the little jobs well the big ones will tend to take care of themselves.” -Dale Carnegie. The purpose of training is so you can get better. In soccer practice we work on the little things so we can improve our overall play of the game. So for every sprint, every drill, every scrimmage it is important to do my best. By doing my best in the little things it can get me to my goal of becoming a great soccer player. My coach tells us if we don’t push ourselves then we will never get better. So in order to succeed in the big picture you have to give your best in the little things too.

“Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson. For you to become your best you have to strive for the best. I believe that truly failing is impossible when working your hardest, that the pain of failure is much greater than the pain of hard work and that giving your all in every task, even the little things can make all the difference. I believe to make the most of yourself you must DO YOUR BEST.