Love Over Judgement

Hannah - Ft.Collins, Colorado

“ If you judge people you have no time to love them.”

Have you ever actually stopped and looked at the people around you. Really observed them and tried to see past their flaws and see the real person behind the mask? Everyday people judge on another on their looks, mannerisms, quirks, whatever like they know that person inside and out. Like they’ve lived that person’s life and know exactly what they’ve gone through, when really they’re just being ignorant. Ignorance is man’s downfall, and is what causes low self esteem which in turn makes us want to critique others harshly and unfairly. So my mantra in life is to not judge others. I believe in erasing cruel misconceptions of others. I believe in accepting others as they are and loving them for being themselves instead of what society wants them to be. Judgement only causes hurt and distress.

My story in judgement began from the day I was born. Many families are broken apart from divorce, but I was born with only one parent for the most part, in my life. My parents gave birth to me without getting married, and so everyday I’m judged for it. Whenever someone asks me about my parents I tell them how they were never married, and get that look. You know the one, the one that says oh so you’re one of those kids. So growing up and going from a poor girl with a single mom to a pretty spoiled girl with both parents in my life, visitation time to my dad’s, I consider myself pretty lucky. I learned at a young age to try and ignore the judgement of others, because I know that the only way they can get satisfaction out of cruelly critiquing me is if I give it to them.

In the real world judgement is installed in everyone through everything, whether it be from the grading of a paper to a junior high school hierarchy, or social “food chain”. What many of us don’t realize or care about, however, is that the people we criticize like pieces of meat are living human beings! And through our judgement we are hurting them! If our society wasn’t so screwed up to think all of it was okay, there wouldn’t be things like racism or anorexia. There wouldn’t be that constant contest to see who can have the best stuff and the most money. Less judgement would equal less drama!

Now I’m not saying that I’m the patron saint of ethics when it comes to looking at others and immediately forming my own opinions, but I want for others to open their eyes to what’s really going on in this corrupt world and how it’s hurting us. So I believe in not judging. I believe that you should always look at the positives in people, not doubt their character based primarily on appearance. I believe in love over judgement.