Matthew - Fort Collins, Colorado

Ever since I was little, I’ve cared a lot about how well I performed in the things I did. If I had a bad day at baseball practice or couldn’t play a song well on my bass, I would become angry at myself. The worse my attitude was, the worse I would do at the activity. However, whenever I gave my anger up to God, He would change my way of thinking. I believe that God can change your attitude for the better whenever you ask for His help.

I have had many hobbies in my life. During all of them, I’ve set mental goals and expectations of how well I thought I should do. On some occasions, the goal I set was too high, and I would be disappointed in myself. My attitude would automatically go down the tubes, and when that happened, I would do worse than I was already doing. Throughout my life, I have had to abandon my attitude and focus on having a good time.

Golf is a sport that I began at the age of 11, and I’ll admit that when I started, I was horrible. My score would be in the seventies . . . on nine holes! Obviously, I was really frustrated every time I added up my score. By asking God to help me out with my mind set, I was able to look at golf in a new way and not fear my high score. Now, three and a half years later, I still play golf and have a great time out on the golf course.

Another one of my hobbies that made me mad occasionally was fishing. This past summer, I had the amazing opportunity of fishing on the Frying Pan River, which is some of the best fishing water in my home state of Colorado. Even so, I had caught only four fish after the first two days. By the third and final day, I was annoyed because of my lack of fish. I had to pray for God to reform my attitude and let me enjoy the day in His fantastic outdoors. He answered my prayer, and my attitude improved. Although I caught six more fish that day, I still think that I would have had a great rest of the day without catching any fish.

God has never failed to change my bad attitude whenever I asked Him to. He has always been there for me and always will, no matter if it’s a big matter like helping me through the death of a relative, or a small problem like being angry at how well I do at a pastime. I believe that God can improve anybody’s way of thinking if only they ask for His help.