Big Dreams Lead to Great Achievements

Joe - Wilmette, Illinois

Karen Raven once said, “Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be.” This is a great quote, because it speaks of truth. How can one possibly accomplish something, unless they know or believe they can do it? I believe big dreams lead to great achievements.

This belief has been in effect for a long time. Way back in 1783, the 13 colonies finally broke away from England and became their own country. However, this was not an effortless success. Britain had the most powerful military in the world at the time, and they strongly outnumbered the colonists. But even against all odds, America reigned victorious because they were fighting for something worth believing in; their freedom. Those who signed the Declaration of Independence were committing treason by doing so, but they had a goal of breaking free of the tyranny that was England.

I have also experienced my belief firsthand. When I was seven years of age, I wanted to become an amazing guitar player, so that I would be eligible for a college scholarship someday. I practiced and practiced every night, sometimes until my fingers would hurt, in hopes that my wish would become a reality. When I had realized that my hard work had started to pay off, it pushed my efforts even further. I am now playing better than I could have imagined when I first began, and although this long-term achievement has not quite been reached, its coming along quite nicely.

Ever since this my belief set sail, it has changed my whole outlook on life. It has shown me the rewards of hard work and perseverance. Even if the goal is not reached, you gave it your all, and that’s what counts the most. I believe that big dreams lead to great achievements.