I believe in believing so K.I.S.S.

Colleen - Wilmette, Illinois

One night I was in my own little paradise, Long Beach Island, NJ, to be precise. The next morning it was all gone. As we drove back to New York I knew that it would be the last time I saw that pink little house that I had helped my dad repaint every year. I cried the whole drive back to my cousin’s apartment, I kept hoping that the construction machines would brake or that my parents would change their mind. I kept hoping because I have always believed that sometimes you have to throw up a prayer and hope it goes in. Even though it was ridiculous, that house was my rock, we went there every year. Seen as nothing else in my life seemed to be stable it was always there like a best friend, hey I know it’s stupid but I was seven. Sometimes you have to throw up a prayer and hope it goes in, this I believe. That experience taught me really to never stop believing, even though I did not save my house.

This past basketball season my team worked our butts off. We started off as the underdogs, but by the end of the year we had killed almost everyone we played, if we didn’t kill them we lost by 1 or 2 points. Our regular season record was 22-1. It was good enough to produce us a spot at nationals in Tampa, Florida. We trained all summer, all the time leading up to July 4th-July 8th. We knew that we would have to play the number 1 nationally ranked team in the 14U division, we were in the 13U division, but we had to play nationals a year up. When we finally got to nationals we were all so animated and we were all also extremely anxious for the game that awaited us the next morning. When we got to the gym I was starting to get major butterflies. I knew we’d be fine, but I fueled my adrenaline by this feeling of anxiousness. Our normal starters; Lena, Skylar, Kelsey, Marissa, and I started the game. I scored 18 points and had 23 rebounds, I also drew two charges. We ended up winning on a 3-pointer with 6 seconds left in overtime. We never stopped believing that we could win that game, so even if we were the only ones who believed we had a shot, we knew we did. Us practicing our butts of was our prayer and us winning was our shot going in.

If I had to put my belief into an object of pop culture it would be the song “Livin’ on a Prayer” it goes like;

Once upon a time

Not so long ago

Tommy used to work on the docks

Union’s been on strike

He’s down on his luck…it’s tough, so tough

Gina works the diner all day

Working for her man, she brings home her pay

For love – for love

She says: We’ve got to hold on to what we’ve got

It doesn’t make a difference

If we make it or not

We’ve got each other and that’s a lot

For love – we’ll give it a shot

Ohh We’re half way there

Woah Livin’ on a prayer

Take my hand and we’ll make it – I swear

Livin’ on a prayer

Tommy’s got his six string in hock

Now he’s holding in what he used

To make it talk – so tough, it’s tough

Gina dreams of running away

When she cries in the night

Tommy whispers: Baby it’s okay, someday

We’ve got to hold on to what we’ve got

‘Cause it doesn’t make a difference

If we make it or not

We’ve got each other and that’s a lot

For love – we’ll give it a shot

Ohh We’re half way there

Woah Livin’ on a prayer

Livin’ on a prayer

Livin’ on a prayer

We’ve got to hold on ready or not

You live for the fight when thats all that you’ve got

Ohh We’re half way there

Woah Livin’ on a prayer

Woah Livin’ on a prayer

(Repeat to fade)

I think it is saying you can never give up, you have to hold on to what you got, as it says in the song, it just really makes sense to me. It also says even if you have nothing you always have two things, your love and your hope.

I know most people assume that Cubs fans are the dumbest and most naive people on the planet. I SAY YOU’RE WRONG!!!! I would like to start off this issue by saying that being a Cubs fan teaches you a whole lot about faith. We also have the most loyal fans in all of baseball, and maybe of all sports. This is because we always believe that there will be a next year. A common slogan used among die-hard Cubs fans and fair weather wannabe Cubs fans alike is “There’s always next year.” If you’re not a Cubs die-hard fan you wouldn’t get, it’s hard to put into words, but I’ll try. All we have is a slight hope (a prayer), that we might win a playoff series (if we do, it’s our prayer going in). So next time your in Chicago (or downtown as many inhabitants of the suburbs call it) go to a game at Wrigley and you’ll see how much we love our team and believe in them, no mater if they have 102, 98,81,68,or 32 wins all season. Being a Cubs fan is like being in a bad relationship, you’ll go to bed crying after they get swept in the 1st round of the playoffs, but next year you will still come back to them and be at Wrigley screaming your lungs out.

I guess you could say I believe in believing. I know its simple but that’s what I think. I have felt this way my whole life because I feel when you lose hope theirs no shot at you achieving your goal. Sometimes you have to throw up a prayer and hope it goes in, this I believe.