Do What You Think is Right

Joe - Wilmette, Illinois

If someone jumped off a bridge would you jump too? If someone robbed a house would you help him or her rob it? If someone tried to sell you illegal drugs would you buy them? Well I certainly wouldn’t. I believe that I should do what is right and follow my instinct. I don’t follow others if they are doing something wrong.

In the United States during the 1800’s, northerners didn’t have slaves because they knew it was wrong. They believed this so much that their amount of income was much lower than southerners. This was because they could not compete with the low prices of the southerners, since they had to pay their workers while southerners had free workers. Eventually, they fought a war to stop slavery and succeeded. The northerners also encouraged slaves to escape and helped them by using things like the Underground Railroad. This example shows how the Northern Americans followed their instinct and didn’t have slaves even though it would have made them more money.

Like the northerners, it is hard to go against the crowd to do what is right. Once my friends were planning to run around town making trouble way past curfew. I knew it was wrong and stayed back because we could get grounded or get taken home by the police. I didn’t go with them, even though it sounded fun. Although they didn’t get in trouble with the cops, their parents caught them and they were not allowed to hang out with each other for a month.

Another example of doing what is right is Ralph Nader. He is a consumer advocate and fights against large corporations to help the average person and help save the environment. It is hard for him to do because large companies have lots of money and can cover up wrong doings through many ways including commercials and political figures. This shows that even though the large companies were going to ruin the environment, he stood up for it and showed people what could happen and then protected it.

I no longer go along with the crowd when I know something is wrong. I arrived at this belief through many experiences of going along with my friends and getting in trouble or watching them get into trouble. This belief has changed me and my actions to be better and always attempt to do the right thing. If I notice someone doing something wrong, even if it is amusing or fun, I will not participate, and will make an effort to stop others from doing these types of things so they might share my belief. Do what is right and don’t follow others if they are wrong. This I believe.