Be Nice… Be Happy

Eric - Fort Collins, Colorado

I’ve learned over time that I don’t really fit in with any of the groups and cliques that I see around school. I don’t fit in with the popular people because they only hang out with people who are really athletic and dress the same. But I don’t fit in with the “nerds” either, I don’t like school and I’m only smart in a couple subjects. There are also a lot of other groups I don’t fit in with. I have one small group I hang out with and it’s just me and a couple of good friends. I am nice to these people and they are nice back and that’s what really matters.

Earlier this year we had the Rachel’s Challenge assembly at school. It was really interesting; we got to learn about Rachel Scott and her friends. She didn’t have many friends (kind of like me) but (also like me) the friends she did have were really nice to each other and that’s how they were friends. Her brother told about how she knew this one person with Down syndrome and saw some people picking on him. Then Rachel went up and stood up for him and asked how he was feeling. I realized this is how everyone should act because it made everyone happy. Shortly after this assembl0,y too, one person who was always mean to me at school came up to me and told me he was sorry for everything.

I’ve also realized how this works in my own life. I’ve had a lot of people pick on me at school and bully me. But I figured out if I am nice to them, a lot of the time they will stop. Every once in a while this has happened and I try to be mean back to the person making fun of me, but when I do that things just get worse and worse.

I’ve never really realized how the little things make a difference. If I see someone in the hall at school or somewhere, and they either say hi or smile, I walk off after that smiling. It makes me happy to know people who do these things because the little things like a smile or saying hi really make me happy, and I’m sure they could make someone else happy too.

I’ve also learned little things can really make a difference. Also I learned they can start a chain reaction and start affecting everyone. If one person is nice that could have an impact on a whole bunch of other people. This is why I think that every one should be nice to each other even if it is just little things like smiling or saying hi. These things can really do a lot more than you would think. I have been through many experiences like these in my life, and I found that you don’t need to be “cool” to be happy. Just be nice, and be happy. This I believe.