Not Just a Feeling

Sebryna - New Braunfels, Texas
Themes: love

I believe in love. Not the kind of love that parents are supposed to give to their children or the love that helps people of different cultures accept one another, but the kind of love that allows a person to have hope at the end of a long day. I believe in the unconditional, sacrificial love that has kept me from giving up even when the person I love is thousands of miles away. This love is the reason I get up in the morning.

I believe that it is a special kind of love that is able to endure long absences. I admire my grandmother’s generation who was able to withstand being away from the person they loved as they went off to war. It seems like love back then was a bit stronger, or maybe it was the people that were stronger. I am mystified by people now who will give up on love so easily. It is hard sometimes, I know, but real love, the unconditional kind, is worth a little work.

I never give up on anything, but I never knew how hard it would be to love a soldier. I haven’t been within a thousand miles of my love for months. Distance can do many things to love. It can rip it apart. It can exhaust it or it can make it stronger. It depends on the determination of the person. Love being far away is like missing an arm or a leg. Sometimes, I feel like I can’t function properly without my love near by, but I am not willing to see it die, so I keep trying.

I believe the next few years will be the hardest years of my life. I never thought that loving a soldier would be so difficult. I was caught up in the romanticism of receiving letters and having a man in uniform. It didn’t dawn on me that I would love a person that would be away from me for months at a time and possibly go to war. Now I know what I am up against and I am ready to stick it out. It is the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but I believe in our love.