Contributing Factors

Michael - Victorville, California

I believe everybody has something to contribute in a friendship. Two years ago I was at work when I received a call from a close friend who had stopped by to borrow a circular saw. He told me that my front door had been kicked in, and he said he would stay and secure the house, and would not leave until I arrived. I then went to my boss and explained what had happened with my home, he let me leave immediately and I started my hour commute. Utilizing this time I called my friend Kelly, my sister Katie and my girlfriend Marya to let them know what had happened as I finished my drive home to Victorville from Azusa. By the time I to the house my friend Kelly, a general contractor, was inside halfway finished making a list of supplies needed to repair the broken door frame. Tony’s uncle, an on-duty Sheriff’s officer, was already in the process of filing a police report. Tony was anxiously waiting for a list from Kelly of the materials needed to fix the door so he could make a hardware store run. My girlfriend Marya was in the kitchen on the phone with Katie who was already at the store buying groceries and cocktails needed for a feast, and Molly, Kelly’s Fiancé, was entertaining the three small dogs in the backyard grass.

While Tony, Kelly, and I were busy demolishing and re-building the front door frame, the girls were buzzing around the kitchen preparing dinner, and serving us cold drinks. Within a few hours, the Sheriffs’ report had been filed, the front door had been repaired as if it were brand new, and we were out on the patio enjoying cocktails and a delicious dinner prepared by the girls. My friends helped to turn an unfortunate situation of personal invasion into a gathering that was long overdue.

These people took time out of their busy schedule to help me when I was in need of an emergency home repair. If it were not for their combined contributing factors I would have been forced to repair the door all on my own, making multiple trips to the hardware store, acquiring the correct tools, another day of missed work, and the added stress of the combined. It would have been a long drawn out process.

I am a very independent individual who usually refuses to admit I need the help of anyone, but this situation opened my stubborn eyes to how my friends contribute in my everyday life. Since the door incident I have began to appreciate the way friends bring warmth to my life, whether it is their help with an emergency, or just an invite for a beer. As corny as it sounds, I have come to realize that they are the light at the end of my tunnel.