Not My Fault

Justin - Pomona, California

I was born into a family of six, myself being the youngest of four children. Being raised into a fairly big family, I developed the ability to get away with anything. I was always the young innocent one that “didn’t know better.” It seemed as if whenever I did something wrong, it was never my fault.

I remember when I was about nine years old, my older cousin and I decided to ride our bikes around the block. As we were riding along, we noticed a big dirt jump in the distance. The size did not intimidate my cousin as he rode up with his bike and jumped off the dirt mountain. I knew I probably couldn’t do it but after watching my cousin do it a couple times with such ease, I decided that I was capable as well. I got on my bike and backed up away from the jump to get speed. Before I began pedaling my cousin acted as a barricade and told me not do it. I ignored his advice and rode around him. As I pedaled faster and faster and got closer to the jump my mind froze and I fell viciously onto the pavement. I successfully managed to bust my lip, chip my tooth, and scratch up my face.

When we got back to my house my mom cleaned my cuts and yelled at my cousin; telling him that it was his fault that this happened to me, and that he should have set a better example. The pain of my injuries did not bother me at all as it was overcome by this horrible feeling I felt inside. I could not take the fact that I was sitting there watching my cousin get blamed for something that was completely my fault. The feeling grew worse but I still sat there not saying a word. My cousin was disappointed that I just watched him take the blame but I just ignored him and tried to act like it really was not my fault.

Years had gone by but my ability to blame other people and get away with things did not change. I continued getting into trouble and making excuses until I finally got what I deserved. I was a freshman when I got suspended from school for the possession of tobacco products. There was no way I could talk my way out of that one as my Vice-Principal sentenced me a five-day suspension.

After serving my punishment from both the school and my parents, I finally realized that that no matter how many people I blame or how many excuses I make, it is nobody’s fault but my own. I believe that everyone is responsible for his or her own actions. Since then, I always try to think of all the consequences of my actions before I act because I know that every decision I make will affect my future; it truly lies in MY own hands.