We All Need Inspiration

Tiffany - Colorado Springs, Colorado

We are often asked who or what inspires us. And we always give the same cliché answer, my mother, my father, my brother, my sister, blah, blah, blah. It makes me wonder if we are ever inspired by something more original. I believe that we are all inspired by something original. I was a senior in high school when I discovered what inspired me.

For our senior project we were given an assignment to design a book about something that inspired us. I was stunned. I had no idea what inspired me. So I thought about something that was somewhat cliché, superheroes. I realized that what heroes represent and what they mean was what inspired me. They represent hope, faith, love, pride, honesty, strength, peace and many other things.

I took many quotes from Spiderman and altered them in small degrees to write about my heroes in my book. “I know a hero when I see one. Too few characters out there, flying around like that, saving girls like me. And Lord knows, kids need a hero. Courageous, self-sacrificing people. Setting examples for all of us. Everybody loves a hero. People line up for them, cheer them, and scream their names. And years later, they’ll tell how they stood in the rain for hours just to get a glimpse of the one who taught them how to hold on a second longer. I believe there’s a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. My friends mean the world to me, but they wouldn’t want me living one second with revenge in our hearts. Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. My friends taught me that. They chose to be the best of themselves. It’s the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what’s right. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: ‘With great power comes great responsibility.’”

I know it sounds cliché of me to say that super heroes inspire me, but they do. I find an inspiration about them that is different from what others see. And I mean, isn’t that what inspiration should be about? Something that a person finds meaning through their own terms? I believe that we need inspiration. Because inspiration is the driving force behind the youth that eventually lasts a lifetime.