Respect the Hand that Feeds You

Tom - Belding, Michigan
Themes: respect, work

I believe that farming is the most important thing in the world because without it everyone would either starve or have to learn how to do it themselves. As a farmer I know more then someone who lives in the city, so I believe we should get more respect for what we do because of that. We have a bumper sticker in are shop that says “Have you fed your kid today, hug a farmer” that’s the kind of respect we deserve. I live in a little town of about five thousand people. Most of them live in town and don’t know a lot about farming and most don’t care about it either. So I believe that they should take the time and learn about it and realize that there’s more too it they think. This happens every day when I’m working and driving tractor on the road I see morons who don’t care about the man in the tractor, to them were just something that slows them down. To me the meaning of respect is waving when you go by a tractor, slowing down and waiting to go by them do you don’t cause a wreck, or thanking someone for doing what everyone else won’t do, to me it means a lot. We own a good amount of acres and so do most of our neighbors, but when a farmer goes bankrupt they call the bank and sell it to the government. That’s not right to me they should sell your land or rent it out to a farmer who needs it but don’t sell it so the government can make more houses. When I see land for sale and find out that it was sold to make more houses that are not showing your respect to other farmers. If everyone in the world could take one day to go work on a farm and do everything that we do they would understand and respect what we do. But some people don’t care about it so it will never happen. Those people only care about themselves and the bumper stick wouldn’t mean anything to them either. There are many issues with the farming today around my neighborhood we have a manure issue, when we spread it the people who came from the city to live in the peaceful country complain. Well what was the point of moving out here in the first place you knew what was going to happen, so either show us some respect and deal with it or move out. All were trying to do is make a better crop so we can make a little more cash, and all you want to do is bitch about the smell.

So respect is my main thing or my big pet peeve when it comes to farming because if you don’t show me respect when I’m driving down the road or I’m helping you with your crops I will be the biggest prick to you. Just remember the bumper sticker, “Have you fed your kid today, hug a farmer”.