Struggle For Life

Blake - West Chicago, Illinois

I believe that struggle shapes who you are in life. From witnessing a struggle, to seeing someone else accomplish the impossible, struggles always shape who you are. As the governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, said, “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” Without a struggle you will never grow strengths to overcome them, and earning new strengths changes who you are.

One man made an impact in the way I push myself through struggles. Kevin Everett, a Buffalo Bills football player, went up against all odds and succeeded an amazing accomplishment. During a NFL game, Kevin made a huge hit on a kickoff and instantly collapsed to the ground. On impact he broke his neck and laid motionless on the ground. Rushed to the hospital Kevin was told that “it was unlikely for him to ever walk again.” From then on nothing stopped Kevin to achieving his goal: walking. Being paralyzed is like starting all over again, and that’s exactly what Kevin did. On December 7th Kevin was able to walk on his own, that was two months after that devastating injury. Kevin’s recovery changed my mindset on my own struggles, and made me realize that I could push through anything.

Earlier than Kevin Everett’s accident, I lived a struggle of my own. My grandfather suffered a stroke and was checked into a hospital, but never made a recovery from it. The night he was sent home I received a phone call from my parents saying that I needed to come to my grandparents’ house, but knew no information of what was going on. When I got there I saw my grandfather lying in a bed, taking long breaths, and I grabbed his hand and witnessed his last breath. The sight of him taking his final breath really made me realize that struggles shape you who are in life. Without a moment to overcome I would never be who I am today, and pushing through this death gave me more resistance to other harsh moments. Going from a perfect life to experiencing a death at sight, it really changes how you go through each day and continue on no matter what.

Overcoming a struggle takes a lot of heart to pass by and when it’s as extreme as Kevin Everett’s, you really show the world what you can do. For me, I lived through my grandfather’s death and witnessed his ending. As a token for seeing his last breath, he left me with the idea that I can never give up. Never had I felt this pain, and without a struggle in my life I would never have pushed myself to the limits to overcome anything. Fighting through a struggle makes the hard things in life easy and the easy things in life even easier. As much as I miss my grandfather I would also like to say thanks.