The Fair Way of Life

Keri - Ada, Michigan

Being a basketball player for 11 years I have come to know that fair opportunity plays a huge part in everyday life. I learned this from being a player for many years and seeing people following through with fairness and people ignoring the general aspect of being fair. An example of fairness that I had witnessed was when I was on the middle school basketball team and it was a school rule that each member of the team had at least 5 minutes of guaranteed playing time per game. On the opposite side, an example of not being fair was when I was a sophomore in high school and was playing on the junior varsity team; the coach had favored a freshmen player because she was a friend of the family. With all of this being said, I believe that fair opportunity plays a part of more than just basketball, but within every sole issue that the world has to offer.

Even though basketball does not set a standard for the rest of the planet, these 2 examples I came across set a general illustration of how a fair opportunity can be used, and how people sometimes forget the meaning of fairness and end up doing more harm than good. And unfortunately the issue of fairness can play a huge part in the world today. Just look at the war the United States is fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. A lot of people say that it is not fair to be spending tax payers dollars and be using soldiers to fight a war that is doing both countries damage. On the flip side, people say that these two nations invaded our country (9/11) and we are entitled to fight back and serve justice. Obviously it comes down to a matter of person opinion, and therefore I cannot prove which is just and which is unjust, but the moral is how complicated fairness can be throughout our country and the world.

No matter how you look at it, it is apparent that when an equal or fair decision is made, the people involved with the issue are bound to happy and comfortable with the decision and things may run much smoother. However, there is no way to make everyone happy; especially dealing with national issues like the description above. That is why we have the freedom to vote for many large decisions that involve us. But in situations like my basketball team, one easy fair rule can set the tempo and the attitude for the entire team while keeping it’s players satisfied. So whether it’s voting on the next important issue in your neighborhood or simply a family matter, I hope you look at the level of fairness. So that the next time you are faced with an issue and you must make a choice, that you weigh out the issues and make the decision that you believe on paper and in your own mind that equally benefit everyone and yourself.