Time Is Precious

Blair - Fort Collins, Colorado

Time is Precious

I believe that time is the most precious thing a person can have. Yes, family friends, nature, there is an endless list of precious things out there. Little do most people know that none of these things would matter, without time.

To some people, it’s a clock. A clock that rings every morning at 6:00 am, a clock that tells you when school is over, and when it’s time to go to bed. To some people, they are just numbers, numbers that change every sixty seconds. To me, it’s way more than that.

Time to me is expensive, even though it is free. It is something that should never be taken for granted. It should never be wasted by holding grudges, or waiting around for someone, or something. You can never find lost time, no matter how hard you try.

July 13th, 2008. I got off a plane back in Colorado, after my summer trip to Michigan. If only I knew that today was the day that would change my life forever. Unfortunately, after the whole plane ride to think, I realized that it was the day my dad had to go to court. I had a pretty good idea about what was going to happen, but I hoped in every way that it was not the way it turned out. I really didn’t want to find out, but I had to face it sometime. Consequently, my dad was sentenced to four or five years in the Wyoming State Jail. As weak as I felt, I remembered a few things at the same time. How the last few times I went to visit my dad in Colorado Springs, I sat on the couch, instead of spending precious time with him. I regret ever doing this, because I miss my dad more than anyone will ever understand.

I get butterflies of excitement all through my body when I think about the years to come; the years when I will be able to see my dad in person, without a window and a metal gate in between us. The years when I will be able to see my dad when he is not as trapped as a wild lion in a zoo. One of my favorite quotes, “Look towards the future, but not so far as to miss today”, was found on a simple fortune cookie. A piece of paper the size of my thumb gave me some of the best advice I have ever gotten. I look so forward to these days of the future that I do not cherish all the good times I am having right now. Things like the laughs I shared yesterday, or even the grade I got on my biology test this morning. Time should never be passed up or forgotten, because it is a simple gift from God. A gift that never gets treated the way it should.

Time is the most precious thing a person can have. No matter how many people agree or disagree with me, now and always, This I Believe.