A Little Bit of Kindness

Mikayla - Fort Collins, Colorado

As I walk down the halls of Junior High School. I examine the teenage girls who turn their heads to a near by classmate. I know what they are saying when they glare at me with angry and evil eyed stares. They all claim to hate me as if they know me and have walked my path in my footsteps. Most I haven’t even had a simple conversation to or even know their name, yet they judge me thinking it is all right. Now I would be lying if I said I have never done this, but I know each remark feels as if a sharp spear is continuously plunged into my heart. Yet I do the same thing and as each word of betrayal slips from my mouth, I can feel a stinging pain go down my spine. Why do I do it then? I know it hurts them just as much as it hurts me, and it never makes me feel better putting down someone I hardly know or for that matter someone I don’t even know. But what about the person that is saying stuff about me? Do they mean it or is it just spilling out of their mouth uncontrollably.

I understand how it feels to be talked about, that is why I believe in kindness. I want to show everyone that it doesn’t make sense to make fun of other people for their own amusement. When people come up to me and start talking about someone else, I stare at their eyes. It’s confusing because I see that sin of envy, but then I look a second longer and notice the look of despair. I’m guessing it is revenge they are after, to comfort their sadness, but I know it is a never ending cycle.

I wish it would stop! Because guess what everyone does have their own story be it divorce, suicide or even abuse. It doesn’t make sense if everyone is complaining about their life, when chances are someone is probably going through the exact same thing. We are all just piling on top of the drama by telling rumors and gossiping about one another. I hear everyone strives for excellence, but with that we all strive for pain. Not to happen to ourselves, but to others because then it does not seem to matter. So it is true, that I believe in kindness, but as I live and breathe each day I wish to change the world. But all I see are the generations repeating the cycle of life, not achieving the ability to be kind to one another.