I Believe In Being Optimistic

Molly - Fort Collins, Colorado

I Believe in Being Optimistic

After losing my grandma, whom I was very close to, the whole world seemed duller. I knew if she was still alive she would want me to look on the bright side and realize how our family grew much closer and she was no longer suffering. In every hard situation that comes up in life, people can choose to look at the bright side or the side where things go wrong. I believe in being optimistic.

Optimism comes up in all of the little things around me. I play a lot of practical jokes. Sometimes they go wrong and end up hurting someone. I get this feeling in my gut that makes me question what was going through my head at the time. My stomach flips like a pancake on the stove. My world for the time being is in a fog. I wish I could have gone back to change my actions, but if I did, I would have never learned from my mistakes. Someone once told me you can dwell on your mistakes and regret them for ever or you can accept your poor actions; try your hardest to make things right, and move on. Sometimes people can get so caught up in things that go wrong that they don’t see the plain obvious good things.

When things go wrong no one can rewind the clock to change them, but depending on how they approach them makes all the difference. Things go wrong in life, whether they are big or small. Some people don’t realize that they have the choice to choose how to deal with them.

In the last three years I have lost four people very close to me, all in unfortunate ways. I know that none of them would want me to mourn their deaths but to celebrate their lives instead. Even though I miss them incredibly and wish I could speak to them in person, I hold on to them through the good memories and the things they have taught me. I am reminded of them all the time. A quote by Shakespeare that really speaks to me is, “If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.” When each of them died it seemed like there was no way to get through and by mourning it was hard to see everyone come together and comfort one another which was beautiful.

I believe in optimism. It gets me through the good and bad times. Even when I do not see good in things at first does not mean they do not exist, it just means I’m not looking hard enough. When life hands out the occasional lemons choose to make lemonade.