Racism Still Exist in the United States

Jesika - San Bernardino, California

We have traveled many years since activist like Martin Luther King Jr fought vigorously to end racism in the United States, but unfortunately it still exist. I am not proud to say it, but I was once a victim of racial discrimination at a very young age, six years old to be exact. It is a shame that America’s society cannot move past its narrow-minded ways of building perceptions of other people without once taking out the time to gain insight of the person their putting a label on. The race of an individual should not be used to determine who that individual represents, but rather the mind should be able to help identify their true persona.

When I was in the first grade I wasn’t aware racism even exists let alone the definition of the word. It wasn’t until I grew up that I realized I had been a victim of racial discrimination. Mrs. Henderson, my first grade teacher used to say I was a bright individual, she continuously bragged about me to her other colleagues relating to them I did not belong in my current grade level and that I needed to take the placement test to advance to the second grade. I was frightened to take the test at first because I was so comfortable with my environment, but after careful analysis with my family about the opportunities I would receive if I successfully passed the test I agreed. There was only one roadblock decreasing my chances of success her name was Mrs. Wilson.

Mrs. Wilson was the second grade teacher that I would hopefully advance to if I succeeded in passing the placement test. She made the process so hard by consistently telling me it would be so much better if I stayed where I belonged. I finally took the test, and I had to wait three days to receive my results. The results finally came and I passed the test, everyone was happy for me, except for Mrs. Wilson. The first day in her class was horrible, she did not fail to call on me throughout the whole class period or cut me off when I was trying to relate an answer to her. Other teachers started visiting Mrs. Wilson’s class and started realizing the pattern she would follow everyday in class concerning her treatment of me, and after awhile it became evident to her colleagues that she had a strong dislike of me and I was finally removed from her class. Mrs. Wilson hated the fact that I was of African descent and I was a bright individual that would succeed in life.

Racism still exists and as a country we can work together to end this growing trend of discrimination in America. If we fight as vigorously as activists did, I believe racism will somehow come to a halt and our nation will finally be free at last.