Relationships & Maturity

Ericka - hesperia, California

I am currently in a “serious relationship”. I had to change many things to get to where my boyfriend Luis and I are today. We both stopped talking to other girls and guys and I also stopped going to parties and drinking. This may seem like insignificant things to give up but when you’re barely 18 and all your single friends are out clubbing and getting drunk, you kind of wish you could be out there with them too. Then I think to myself while I have someone to love me, hold me and take me out, they are out there looking for that one special person to spend their time with. I am 18 years old and I’m with the person I want to be with for the rest of my life.

Before I got with my boyfriend Luis, I was just beginning to discover the world of parties and alcohol. My friends and I did a lot of stupid dangerous things that Luis didn’t find amusing. He would ask things like; “What if you got pulled over? What if she crashed and wrecked her car? Or worse, what if she crashed and killed one of you?”. Luis made me see that drinking isn’t bad as long as I was at the age to do it legally and responsibly

In high school, I was known to have many guy friends and not so many girl friends. Having a boyfriend changed all that; jealousy was a feeling I was very new too. I didn’t understand why Luis didn’t want me hanging out with my guy friends; I mean that’s all they ever were, friends. I realized that when you’re in a serious relationship with someone, you have to put yourself in his or her shoes. If I didn’t like him doing it, I shouldn’t do it either. Having a person care and love me so much taught me the importance of compromising. I do everything and anything to keep Luis happy and he does the same.

I’ve known Luis for almost 4 years and I’ve been with him for a little over a year. He makes me happy when I feel sad by just looking at me, hugging me, and saying, “Everything’s gonna be ok ” and reassuringly kisses me on the forehead. I feel safer with him than with anyone else. On days that I don’t understand how a person could love me as much as he does, he holds me and names all the things about me that he couldn’t live a day without.

I believe being in a serious relationship molded me into a responsible person. Love can ground a person and make them realize how important their life is to someone else. When you feel that another person wants the best for you, you are more cautious about what you do. I had to mature a little faster then some of my friends but I think it was all worth it.