I believe medical marijuana should be legalized for patients in need

Jeffrey - Grand Rapids, Michigan
Themes: question

I Believe Medical Marijuana Should Be Legalized for Patients in Need

I believe that marijuana use should be legal for medical use. I believe that there is way too many terminally ill cancer patients with unbearable pain or those who suffer from the AIDS virus who are forced to take so many pills they cannot stomach a bite of food. I believe that medicinal marijuana use has to be legal for all of these people who truly need it.

I personally know someone who is dying from the AIDS virus, in the past he has use marijuana to help himself eat and gain weight. This person was arrested for possession of marijuana. Arrested for possession of something that helped them eat the food they needed to that also contributes to keeping him alive. To me, that is sickening. In the world today there are so many cancer patients and AIDS patients like this person, that are taking so many pills to help treat their conditions that cannot eat because of it. Everyone, no matter how sick they may be, has to eat. So if it is marijuana that helps all of the people with these problems, then so be it.

Now, there are many people that oppose marijuana being used as a medicine. I ask “Why, what is it about this plant that is causing you more harm than cigarettes or alcohol?” Most will respond with the short but sweet answer of, “Well, there are better alternatives.” This is when I ponder on whether or not I can stomach any more of people who just cannot or will not keep open minded. Now I have to ask, “Do you not think that the majority of the people that this law would concern, have not sought out the alternatives and this is the last resort?” This law is not for the people who are just using it as a crutch to get high, this law is for the people who really need this plant to maintain their daily lives. I think that these people are simply looking for a way to ease all the pain in their lives that no other medicine has been able to do.

I am not someone who is going to personally benefit from a law like this being passed other than the peace of mind that the people in need are being treated accordingly, no matter what the medicine may be. I still feel so strongly about this issue because I know that I could never personally put myself in the shoes of any of these people that have to deal with these issues on a daily basis. Could you? Could you take one day in the life of someone who not only has to go through life thinking about the illness or medical condition they have that is ultimately going to cause their demise, but also having to worry about weather or not your going to be arrested for using the only thing that relieves your pain or enables you to actually eat something for a change. I know for a fact that I couldn’t take a day in those shoes.

Legalizing medical marijuana is something I think that has to be done and I am personally going to do my part in helping this cause by doing what I can on November 4th in michigan by voting yes on proposal one to legalize medical marijauan. On that note, if your not ready to do the same and vote yes for this law, I hope I have at least helped some of the people that will read this to open their minds to help the people in need.