Death Strengthens and Unites the Living

Savannah - Fort Collins, Colorado
Themes: death

Death is the cause of mourning, tears, and broken hearts. It tears out of our hearts all good feeling and leaves us only with pain and sorrow. Tears fall to the ground, one after another, leaving only a puddle of grief to look at. Death is all of this, and it is this way that people look at it. I however see it differently. I see that death can also bring us good. Through this, I came to a belief. I believe that death makes the living stronger and more united.

Just a few weeks ago, my grandpa passed away. It was the worst feeling I had ever had in my life, but I hadn’t realized how much good that this had done for me. I have never really been close to my dad’s family. Every couple years we would go out and visit them. Just as I felt I was getting to know them, we would leave. By the time we went back, all my memories were gone, and I had to start over.

It was at this funeral when I really became close to everyone. Everyone was so full of pain that they all needed a small reassurance that someone who loved you was there. All I had to do was simply reach out to someone. We would comfort each other with such emotion that we would feel as we were one. It would just be us; the whole world vanished from all thoughts. This simple exchange made us close. It was how a family should be.

Recently, a friend of my sister’s mom past away. I can’t imagine losing my mom, my sense of support that leads me through all my troubles. This girl was only sixteen, and her mom was gone. However, as I was talking to her, I knew that it had helped her to grow inside. She had matured through her hard time, and now she has to fight and stand up for herself, without her mom there to help her. She is stronger now than she has ever been, and it was through the death of a loved one that this happened.

Death is like a scale, on one side there is grief and on the other there is light. So often, the grief weighs heavier than the light, and it tips. This grief is how most people feel about death, but I saw the light. The light that sent joy through my heart and made me realize that all is not lost. It is this light that I will cling to as I walk through this road of events that has been given to me, and it is this light that has led me to believe as I do. I believe that death strengthens and unites the living, and it is to this belief that I will hold.