I Believe Freedom today is Taken for Granted

Joshua - Hollamd, Michigan

The people who inspire me are those who take the time to get involved in our government, those who make their voices heard, and don’t just sit by and allow others to decide the fate of the country for them. Any person who enjoys the freedoms we have in the United States, has the obligation to practice them, or at the very least not allow them be taken away.

I believe freedom today is taken for granted, in a country where we have so much freedom, it is not appreciated. The Bill of Rights protects freedom of speech, freedom of religion, the right to keep and bear arms, the freedom of assembly, and the freedom to petition, but people are so used to these freedoms that they are taken for granted.

In the United States, every citizen has the responsibility to vote for the person who they think will best interpret the constitution the way it was meant to be interpreted by the founding fathers, they also have the right to protest the government if they feel the elected officials are not doing a good job. But most people never protest, or even let the government, national or local, know how they feel. In 1989 the Chinese government killed 7,000 of it’s own citizens for demanding that they have a say in their government, yet in the United States many people don’t even bother to vote.

The bill of rights also guarantees freedom of religion, not freedom from religion, freedom of religion. That means every citizen has the right to practice their chosen religion without persecution,. That freedom is being attacked by some, (such as the removal of the words “under God” from the pledge, or the removal of the ten commandments) but not to the extent of the religious persecution in many other countries around the world. The United States was founded on Christianity, a Christian world view shaped the drafting of the constitution and the bill of rights, but Christianity is not a requirement for citizenship in the United States, and people of any faith, (or no faith at all,) are not discriminated against.

The next time you think you are to busy to get involved, write your congressman, or decide your vote doesn’t matter, think about the billions of people who’s can’t vote, who are killed for wanting to choose their government, or are killed for believing in God when their government dose not allow it.

Then you decide if the time it takes to make your voice herd in defense of your freedom, is worth that freedom.