Never Judging

Lara - 80528, Colorado
Themes: setbacks

Tyler, a young boy in the first grade was talking to me with his mom. She told me that kids made fun of him because he enjoyed girly activities such as playing Barbies or having fun playing with make up. That boy broke my heart; he was a normal, cute little boy who disliked school because he was constantly mocked, hurt and had few friends. I told him that that didn’t matter one ounce to me and that I would love for him to be my friend. I believe that life comes to you once, so there is no time to judge and ignore people based on the way they act.

This year at school, a man came to my school to educate the students on his sister who was the first teen to be shot in the Columbine shootings in Colorado, very close to where I live. He taught us about how she was kind to everyone and did not care about differences. That made me realize how close-minded I was. If a person had a disability I would be kind to him or her but deep inside, they would disgust me. That is so mean because deep down, inside they are just like me, even if they present themselves different than the normal way. I would show them just enough support to get me off the hook of looking mean, but not enough to show that I really cared and realized that they were human. Also, if people dressed differently, acted different and talked different – notice, everything I disapproved of was something about being different. How weird it seemed when I myself strived to be different from everyone else. I wore clothes that no-one had worn before. I wore brightly colored clothes and lots of eyeliner and bright eye shadow. Ever since that brave man talked to us, I’ve been inspired to be nicer to people.

I’m sure that almost every boy has at least once played with Barbies or tested their mothers or sisters makeup, I know my brother has and I never saw anything wrong with that. So, I challenge everyone who reads this to welcome every person into your life and see beyond looks, actions or any stupid thing that could change your mind. Look beyond the outside being, and you yourself may be changed for the better. Spread the word around to your friends and soon every person in this world could have a friend. Having a friend could be the difference between making the correct choice or doing something drastic to prove that you are alive, you are a human, you are normal, you have feelings, you cry, you hurt, you can be happy, you want a different life and most of all, you want a friend. Someone to help you through those tough times, laugh with you, cry with you, be on your side and improve your life. So do not judge, because that person could be very different than you expect.