Forgive but Never Forget

Sylvia - BURR RIDGE, Illinois
Themes: forgiveness

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” In other words, I believe that one should forgive, but never forget. Many life experiences have proven this quote to be the right thing to do. Being in high school, drama seems to chase me around. Whether its “oh my god some girl was talking about you Sylvia!” Or, “oh my god, you hung out with him?” Unless a person has lived my life and experienced every second of it, they should not be talking. But the only thing I can do is forgive and move on and not forget what they have done. That way, the next time around, I’m not surprised and I even expect it. I have had people say the rudest, meanest things to me to my face. Some of those people, surprisingly, I am good friends with today. But I definitely keep a distance with them.

I have been stabbed in the back plenty of times, even by the people that “supposedly” cared so much about me. After my ex boyfriend, of a year and a half, and I split, I decided to forgive him for what he had done. If I didn’t, there would have always been that thought of “what could have been.” And I can tell you, from experience, that that is the worst feeling. Everyone, including myself, makes plenty of mistakes. Each day people let us down and it is up to us to be strong and get ourselves back up. Even Dr. Martin Luther once said, “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

The reason why I believe forgiveness is so greatly appreciated is because it is so hard to do. It takes a strong person to pick fights and to talk about others, but to confront someone and say sorry takes an even stronger person; someone who can withstand and feel ashamed for their actions. In these situations, I have really stood my ground and they have constructed me to who I am today.