Own Your Life

Konrad - Loveland, Colorado

America has succumbed to the “blame” mentality. Stores, businesses, schools, and the government take every precaution to avoid lawsuit. This is a result of the fact that no one wants to take responsibility for his or her mistakes. Every lawsuit is driven off the question “Whose fault is it?” When someone hurts himself or herself, the habitual reaction is to blame someone else. I believe that humans are completely responsible for the lives they lead.

Upon birth, a doctor delivers us into the world. Soon after, we are completely dependent on our mother. As we grow, our reliance is meant to fade away gradually but entirely. However, children have begun to hang on to their parents for a much longer time then intended. When a parent gives more slack to their child then needed, that child becomes cushioned. A couple of years ago, a fellow student continually asked me for help on his math homework. The answer I gave was no, whether the work was easy or hard. The fact is, when a human’s responsibility is removed, they become less effective and idle.

One day when I was sitting in my school’s cafeteria eating lunch, I received a text message from my father. It said that over a hundred dollars had compiled on my phone bill because of hidden charges from downloads. The first response that popped into my head was to pay for my mistake myself. In the end, that is exactly what I did. Owning up to our mistakes is one of the biggest parts of responsibility, and the one that I will always value greatly in my life. There is little reason to make excuses for one’s own mistakes, because growth cannot happen when someone does not realize for himself or herself what they did wrong.

Every time I am given the choice of doing something myself or allowing someone else to do it, I do it myself. I am given the chance to do it a lot better and I can do it the way I want it. When someone is given the responsibility of something, it is not nearly as important in their mind as when they give it to themselves. I have seen this with myself, and with how I have put much more time and contemplation on responsibilities that I have given to myself.

In the end, everything that we do, we are ultimately responsible for. We can delegate it to whomever we want to, but the action still remains on our shoulders. I believe that our lives are our own responsibilities and no one else’s. The world we live in is not nearly as nice of a place that it would be if we all took complete accountability for our actions. But then again, whom would we blame if we did take our share of liability?