Where There Is a Will, There Is a Way.

Yanin - Chicago, Illinois

“This I Believe”

If someone asks me the question “What do I believe?” my answer will be the proverb, “Where There Is a Will, There Is a Way”. I believe in this because when I was young, my mom always told me this phrase. When I want to succeed in something, I will work hard. Eventually, I am successful.

In Thailand when every student graduates from high school, they have to take an entrance exam. Students have to use the entrance exam scores for applying to universities. About two months after taking the exam, they will know the scores and apply for schools that they like. I also did that. However, it was very difficult for me to get into Chulalongkorn University, one of the top universities in Thailand, because everyone also wants to study here, and I am not very intelligent. I have only great diligence.

When I studied in high school, I worked hard every day to improve all of my skills. I spent three years preparing for this exam. After studying at school, I had a private class to study mathematics on Monday, Tuesday and Friday at home and I studied for more than two hours. I studied Thai and Social Studies on Wednesday and Thursday. On Saturday, I went to Siam Square where there were many cram schools. I went there to study English at 7.30 am and study math at 10.30 am. Then, I went to another place to study English from 5.30 pm to 8.00 pm. On Sunday, I also had an English class at home for two hours. In the evening I studied at the British Council institution. When I was in 12th grade, my teacher or class master always said only two or three students from her class did not get any acceptance. Before I took the examination, I felt stressed and cried since I didn’t want to be the only student in her class that could not get any acceptance. Finally, I got a good score and got an acceptance from Chulalongkorn University.

Last but not least, I spent my whole summer this year studying for TOEFL-PBT at home and I got a good score. I studied it all day, from morning to night. I did not go anywhere else, except DePaul University to study.

I have worked hard for academics and my hard work has paid off. I believe when I try to do something difficult, the result will be good, like the proverb, “Where There Is a Will, There Is a Way”.