The Golden Rule

Veronica - Imperial Beach, California
Themes: golden rule

Most people, if not all, do not like to be mistreated. Growing up we had several rules in my household. Most of them had something to do with manners, respect, and consideration. However, there is one rule that really stuck with me to this day; treat others how you would like to be treaded, also known as the “golden rule.” I believe that following this concept can lead to a kinder and more generous world. Granted, I may believe this because it was imbedded in my brain since I was a baby; but when I think about it now, I truly feel that it is a great concept by which to live one’s life.

My parents are fairly religious people and therefore occasionally study the Bible. The New Testament discusses two main commandments which are to love God above all and to love you neighbor as yourself. My parents try to follow these commandments as best as they can. They also try to teach my sister and me to do the same. Being normal siblings, my sister and I would occasionally argue, especially when we were younger. We would usually fight about one of us taking something from the other without asking. When this would happen, my mother would take us aside and try to make us see the other’s perspective. Usually, this would eventually lead to apologies from both of us and end the fight.

My home was not the only place where the “golden rule” was encouraged. I attended private school from kindergarten until twelfth grade. Both my elementary and high school were Catholic schools where religion was part of the curriculum. Here, my classmates and I studied the Bible a little more in depth. One of the main concepts emphasized was to do to others as you would have them do to you. This rule is constantly on my mind since it not only was taught at school but also reinforced at home.

It might seem like a simple concept to follow but it is actually extremely difficult to execute consistently. We are humans, therefore imperfect. It is impossible to constantly be considerate, kind, generous, forgiving, etc. However, the important thing is that we try to obtain all these characteristics. By treating others as would like to be treated we can assure that theses characteristics will be achieved and displayed in our actions.

Imagine if everyone made an effort to live by this concept. It would change the world. Much of the corruption and unethical behavior that exists would be replaced with compassion and gentleness. Realistically, I understand that this may never happen, but I know that I will continue to try to live by “the golden rule”

Everyone has some kind of belief that influences his or her daily life. My belief is that we should treat others as we would like to be treated. Though it is a constant struggle to implement this belief, I am going to put much effort into trying. The “golden rule” developed ages ago and has been passed down from generation to generation. I hope to one day pass this rule down to my children as my parents and teachers passed it down to me.