Witnessing a Miracle

Caitlyn - West Chicago, Illinois
Themes: hope

I believe that miracles can happen. Some people don’t believe that miracles exist, and some never get the chance to witness one. Well, I’m a person who not only believes in them but I have a fifteen-year-old cousin who is a walking miracle.

As a freshman in high school, my cousin started the new year assuming it would be the same as last, only with tougher classes. A few weeks into the school year she got an infection and was prescribed medicine to treat it. Soon after taking the medicine she had an allergic reaction to it and wound up in the hospital. The reaction to the medicine caused burns to break out over her entire body from head to toe and left a hopeless teenager in a hospital bed for over four weeks. Her kidneys failed twice in one night, and her body was so weak, she couldn’t even wiggle her fingers. The doctors didn’t think she would make it, and the only thing that kept her going were the prayers for a miracle coming from her friends and family.

The prayers must have worked because in a week she was able to sit up in bed and eat on her own. She made a miraculous recovery and in another week she was released from the hospital and sent home. Everyone was ecstatic for her coming home and recuperating, but there were downsides. She missed almost half of her freshman year, which included her first homecoming dance and the exciting home football games at her school. As a result from the reaction my cousin has red blotches covering her entire body, and she gets frustrated at how her skin looks whenever she looks in the mirror. I tell my cousin that her skin looks beautiful and not to worry, that the blotches will go away. We both know that the burn scars will never go away, and they will be there until the end, but saying that they will disappear makes us both feel better. The blotches remind us both of how fortunate we are to have each other and how fragile life can be. We were always close friends before the reaction happened however, this unforgettable memory has brought us even closer together. We are now like sisters, inseparable and determined to stay sisters forever.

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle” (Albert Einstein). This quote applies to my cousin because some could see her survival as luck or that the doctors saved her life, but I see my cousin’s survival much more than that. I see it as a miracle, and I now believe that they can happen. This experience has changed my perception on the world because I look at everything as a miracle. I’ve come to realize that this terrible, yet unforgettable experience has taught me to have faith in God and believe in miracles.