Importance of Family

Stephanie - Carol Stream, Illinois

I believe in the importance of family and the support they give you. I believe that everyone should have family and to have people that support you no matter what you do. A few years ago, my cousin told me this quote that she heard from her dad, “Friendships come and go, but families are forever.” I think that the quote meant family is always going to be there and they will always support you, when your friends might not.

When my dad was born, some of the first people he met were his parents, my grandparents. But he found out when he was older that he was adopted, along with his four other brothers and sisters. When the kids found out that they were adopted, they weren’t upset. They were thankful that they had a family, even if it wasn’t their biological parents. They all grew up to be very close with their siblings, their parents, and every other family member they had. My grandpa and grandma were firm believers in the importance of family. That’s how my dad raised me and that is what I’m going to teach my kids.

I believe in supporting your family in whatever they do. Ever since my brothers were born, I have been to every basketball, dodgeball, football, and soccer game they have ever had. I love my brothers and I always wanted to support them. I would miss going to the mall or the movies with friends to go to the boys’ games. Those games and my brothers were so important to me. They still are. My brothers might not care about me being at the game, but I do.

Another example of supporting my family was when my grandpa died. My dad took it very hard. My grandpa Charlie was not only my dad’s father, but also his hero. I didn’t know my grandpa that well, but he was family and he was important to me. During my grandpa’s wake, my family and I were supporting each other and making sure we were all okay. I knew from then on that we would all be really close to each other, even if we were a 1000 miles away. I still constantly talk to my grandma, aunts and uncles and cousins that live in Arizona.

My hope for the future is that my family and I keep in close touch with each other. I don’t want our family to be the kind where we only get together every five years or at someone’s funeral. I want to spend as much time as I can with my cousins, aunts, uncles, my brothers, and parents. Those are just some of the reasons I believe in the importance of family.