Everyone is the same

Lamar - Winfield, Illinois
Themes: race

I believe that all races are the same. All people should have some friends that are of a different race. I have several friends that represent different kinds of races. Two or three years ago, I would never have imagined that I would have so many friends outside of my race. As a freshman in high school, I went to an “all-black” school, so I never thought about having different kinds of friends.

I have plenty of friends that aren’t African American. I have two friends that probably don’t even notice my race. My friend Alex Robbins is probably my closest friend that isn’t black. He likes me for who I am and not the color of my skin. I say this because he always tells me: “Dude, color doesn’t matter.” I have another friend that, like Al, isn’t black, but she is like a sister to me. Her parents might not agree with us being so close, but what I like about her is she loves me regardless. A true friend is someone that doesn’t care what color your skin is and she is the definition of a “true friend.” A lot of people don’t understand that we are all the same except for our skin tones.

My mom once explained to me that “a person not having friends outside of their race is very common because every person is brought up differently.” I don’t really agree with this statement because everyone has a mind of his or her own. I believe that everyone is the same person. People shouldn’t be judged just because of their race; I really appreciate that my friends accept me for who I am.

During my middle school years, I dated girls outside my race. I felt normal because, to me, there wasn’t a problem. I’m a junior in high school now and things have changed; if you date someone outside of your race, you get looked at differently. The change seems to come because when you’re young you really don’t care who you’re dating, but when you get older you have a different mindset. You see that everyone else is dating his or her own race so you assume that you have to do the same.

I see couples of dissimilar race all of the time, and I don’t have a problem with it. It seems that people look at black and white couples differently than other biracial couple. People feel that black and white people shouldn’t be together because of slavery. But I don’t care about what happened in the past because I was raised to love all people. Black and white marriages have increased since 1970, from 65,000 to 422,000 presently. Stanford University sociologists have calculated that 7% of America’s 59 million married couples in 2005 are interracial.

If someone really loves you they should love you for who you are. This is why I’m colorblind when it comes to choosing friends. I believe that all races are the same.