Pour a Little Sugar on it…

Nar - Richmond, Virginia
Themes: change

“I’m gonna make your life so sweet, yeah yeah yeah” – The Archies

Tofu. Yep…tofu.

That’s what I said in answer to the question my husband asked me this morning. He had said to me that he felt strange. After being out of work for over thirty days and having time to think, he has found himself within the state of being neither happy or sad. “Why is this?”, he asks me. (He’s going to read this, so I am going to be extra careful here) The answer comes easily to me. “It’s tofu”, I say. He looks at me strangely, as I begin to explain: I refer him to the literal definition of Tofu. “Tofu has very little flavor or smell on its own, so it can be used either in savory or sweet dishes, and is often seasoned or marinated to suit the dish”.

“Pour a little sugar on it oh yeah

Pour a little sugar on it honey,

Pour a little sugar on it baby”

I tell him that he is now at a stage in life where he can be whatever he wants to be. His destiny is at the “tofu” stage. Mine is too. It is a feeling unfamiliar to him; as he says he hasn’t felt this way in over fifteen years. I welcome him into the “Land of Bland” and tell him to pick a flavor. I was “sweet” last go ’round. Didn’t work for me, so I’m pretty much done with it, and so the “Overly- Agreeable-To-Everything” “Bobblehead” me has left the building. It’s savory and sage for me, this time. Not quite as sweet. Still warm…, yet wiser. Hopefully, much wiser. Together, we will try to recraft these lives of ours into lives that are more fulfilling and meaningful. This time…for our dreams.

“I’m gonna make your life so sweet, yeah yeah yeah”

And so I say, the answer is: Tofu. What flavor is yours?

“Pour a little sugar on it honey,

Pour a little sugar on it baby”…