I Believe in the Unnatural

Annette - West Chicago, Illinois
Themes: hope

I believe in miracles and the power of a force greater than humanity. When I was younger, I never thought about the future; I was only focused on myself. My perspective on life was that horrible situations occur when you are old and dying. That idea changed the day I found out my mom had cancer. Because of this news, my life has now turned into a “before and after” story.

Before my mom had cancer, she was healthy, in shape, and free of diseases. She was also independent and rarely asked for help. On that fateful day when I came home from practice and saw my mom’s horrified expression, I knew something terrible had happened. I first thought my grandfather had moved on to the next life, but the news to come was one of the most unexpected occurrences in my life. My mom had cancer.

The hardships that were a result of the diagnosis included my dad going to work Monday through Thursday for his job in Washington D.C. In addition, my mom could not be exposed to large amounts of people and germs, and my two brothers and sister were involved in many extra curricular activities, which caused a lot of planning problems. We needed a lot of outside help from neighbors and family, such as preparing food, driving, or providing moral support. Those deeds could also be viewed as miracles because they saved my mom time and energy. My mom, through all of this, tried to stay upbeat and still be there for her kids. I believe that her strength and faith carried her through the hardships and in return my mom and my family was granted a miracle.

The outcome of my mom’s cancer was not that disastrous if you look at the situation from an optimistic view. Albert Einstein once said, “There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as everything is a miracle.” I believe that my mom going into complete remission after chemotherapy treatments was a miracle. Despite the positives, my family and I were changed forever as a result of hardships.

My mom’s cancer survival is not the only miracle in history. Depending on how you view life, there may be more miracles in life than you even recognize or acknowledge. Some miracles may be Jesus rising from the dead, or an end to the world wars, or even the end to slavery. Many people may look at my life and think, “That’s so tragic,” or, “That’s so encouraging!” However, people who only look at the negatives might think of my life as tragic and containing no miracles. On the other hand, people who look at the positives in my life could think of my life as a life filled with miracles. Miracles are an attitude, and if you believe in good things and a force greater than humanity, then you too can believe in miracles.