Your Decisons, Your Future

Jessica - 60185, Illinois

I believe that every decision that you make has an effect on your life. Life is not about being perfect, but it is about making the best of your situation.

I want to succeed in life and I wish for others to remember me as someone like Oprah Winfrey. She inspires me to make good decisions and to never give up. No one is perfect, but Oprah has taught me that I can change my life and make it better. Oprah had a very hard time growing up; she suffered from her parent’s divorce and moved in with her grandparents. She was molested by her cousin at the age of nine, got pregnant at fourteen, and lost her baby after giving birth. She was sent to live with her father, who was very strict, but luckily gave her the hope and support to turn her life around. Oprah has stated, “I knew there was a way out. I knew there was another kind of life because I had read about it. I knew there were other places, and there was another way of being.” Her early years of life were filled with hardships, but she found a way to have a positive outcome. Oprah pursued her dream of broadcasting, has her own talk show and company, and is now living to help others. Oprah’s Angel Network has helped built two hundred homes for those without a shelter. Her decision to change and help others inspires me to make the right decisions. I know I can overcome any obstacle that comes my way.

I have never been through something as tragic as being molested, or loosing a baby, but many peers have tried, without success, to influence my decision making. The availability of certain drugs makes it very tempting for high school students to make the wrong decisions. Many young girls nowadays are dealing with pregnancies, drugs, and tobacco. I know they are making the wrong decisions and I don’t want to follow in their paths. I don’t want to become an alcoholic, a drug addict or have no control over my life. Like Oprah, I want to help those in need and go into the medical field to help others. Education is my major priority, and I know that with an education, I will succeed in life. Although, I may not become a millionaire like Oprah, I know I can pursue my goals by making the right decisions. I’m taking challenging classes, I study for tests, and I always put forth all my effort in school work.

Oprah’s dream was to be in broadcasting. She pursued her dream by making the right decisions. I will follow her model on my journey to becoming a doctor and helping those in need. I believe that every decision I make will define my future. My future is in my hands and I won’t let anyone or anything get in my way.