The big challenges of modern molecular medicine

Peter - Germany
Themes: illness, science

To solve the urgent global health problems we need a new sophisticated approach – high-tech molecular medicine in a new dimension, that’s I believe.

In general, modern drug targetting, is rising to a new level by new methods of protein 3D structure prediction – I, myself proposed as virtual poster the ‘growing chain peptide folding hypothesis’ at the ECM24 in Marrakesh – and the computational power of parallel computing for ab initio calculations of drug&target complexes. Molecular interactions can precisely be simulated and new effective pharmaca with low side-effects can be calculated. But let me be specific, in my youth I encountered the thorax surgeon Dr. med. Wolfgang Wohlgemuth. He was a coworker of Professor Sauerbruch at the Charite/Berlin. He discussed with me many evenings his theory of cancerangiogenesis – later investigated by the american researcher Folkman using animal cornea experiments. I got a deep impression how challenging modern medicine is. I myself worked on the molecular structure of murein (also called peptidoglycan) a major constituent of bacterial cell walls and the drug target for cell wall active antibiotics. I proposed a near molecular resolved structural model of the merein network molecule surrounding the whole bacterial cell in my dissertation (thesis, 1997, FU Berlin). Now it is possible to design effective antibiotics against multiple resistent species by precalculation of inhibitor action and distorsion or rupture of the bacterial cell wall. I also proposed a new central pore model at the EMBO workshop 1987 in Segovia Spain. At last I would like to draw your attention to AIDS – a major global health problem. We must focus on the healing of the hiv infection using modern molecular medicine. The only way to do it, is the elemination of the hiv from its reservoir the CD4 T-cells. I am well informed about the situation in Africa. I, myself, am assistant biocrystallographer at the Centre for hiv/AIDS networking KwaZulu-Natal. The AIDS syndrome is indirectly induced by the hiv infection. The direct cause of AIDS are the opportunistic infections that first damage (preAIDS) and later completely destroy the immune system (late stage of AIDS). For a successful hiv elimination a fusion protection of the newly biosynthezised yet uninfected CD4 T-cells is needed. Molecular medicine does the job calculating new effective fusion inhibitors.

It is my believe that new approaches in medicine will provide a much better health protection for the people in the future.