Love At First Sight

Ashley - Crystal Falls, Michigan
Themes: birth, love

My best friend, and cousin, became a mother at the age of eighteen. She told me that her first thought after seeing her son was that “it was love at first sight.” Her thoughts had nothing to do with her age or her parenting experience; it had to do with what she felt.

Teenage pregnancy is no longer the norm, but is becoming more common. It has caused many people to think that these soon-to-be mothers are not ready for parenthood. I believe that teenage mothers can be just as good of, if not better, mothers as the ones who are older and married.

My cousin gave birth to her baby boy, Landon and has never been so happy. When she had first found out about her pregnancy, she was not thrilled; in fact, she was terrified. But anyone who knows Heather will tell you that she is doing well and is enjoying motherhood. Heather tells me all the time that she could not imagine her life any other way and would not change it even if she could.

Many people may be skeptical on whether or not teenagers can handle this type of situation. However, just because they are teenagers does not mean that they are not strong enough to handle it. In fact, the few teenage mothers I do know, including Heather, are some of the strongest women ever, and I have a great amount of respect for them and their courage.

There are ways out of parenthood such as adoption and abortion, but honestly, nothing takes more courage than to stick by your mistakes and make them miracles; because that’s what children are: miracles. Some adults choose to take these routes and never have their baby, so why is it that when teenage mothers try to do the right thing and keep their baby, they get looked down upon? It is one of the most difficult experiences in a woman’s life, and is even more difficult when the woman is a teenager. For this reason, they should be admired, not shunned.

Being a mother is one of God’s greatest gifts; it should not matter at what age it is received. Teenage pregnancy may not be the easiest thing to accept, but sooner or later people are going to have to. After all, as soon as the mother sees her baby, it is love at first sight and nothing will change that.