I Believe in the Courage to Stand Up to Your Friends

Katie - Ishpeming, Michigan

Standing up to your friends could be the hardest thing you could ever do. Sometimes you

have to take a stand for what you believe in. If they don’t like you for it, you have to question if

they are your friends.

When I was in middle school, I had a few different cliques I had friends in. There were my everyday lunch table friends, my so-called cool friends, and my so-called weirdo friends. I liked to hang out with all of these people. It seems picture perfect, but it was hard. Each group hated people in another, and I was always the middle man hearing how everybody hates everybody.

I would get comments like, “No offense, I know you like her but I hate her. She’s so weird or she’s so stuck up.” It really hurt my feelings. I liked all these people and I wished everybody could get along, but I knew that was never going to happen.

One day I was arguing on the phone with a friend. We wanted to get a few people together and play some kind of game. The problem was I kept suggesting the wrong people. She couldn’t hang out with one person she didn’t really know for just one day. I told her to give her just one chance but she wouldn’t. I told her to call me back when she found the right people.

My mom naturally overheard and asked what was going on. I explained to her the whole middle man situation. She thought about it for a minute and then said,”If your friends really are your friends, they’ll accept the fact you like can like other people. It’s hard when you’re young because everybody is trying to do the cool thing. Don’t worry about what they are thinking; do whatever you feel is right. Just don’t stop being a friend with somebody because somebody else told you so.”

The friend on the phone called back. She said she was sorry and that she would give the other people a chance.

That made me really happy. If I wouldn’t have stood up to her she wouldn’t have taken the time to get to know somebody new. Now those two people are good friends.