Sheba’s Love

Kaci - Marquette, Michigan

Since I was younger, the one wish I would make on my birthday was to have a dog. My wish came true as I was being dragged back to the car by Sheba, a yellow lab puppy, who was just excited as I was to start a new life together. Over the next twelve years and two months, we shared the same life and she became for than just a pet, but also a best friend.

As the years went by we became inseparable, and I started to call her angel because she felt like my guardian angel from heaven. She watched and protected me like I was her pup and for that reason also I started to call her my step-mom. Whenever I needed someone to talk to, Sheba was always there to help, and I always had a smile on my face at the end of the conversation.

Since Sheba was always there for me it was hard to imagine life without her. She had one of the strongest personalities I know but cancer was her as a weakness, which changed life as we knew it. The cancer was causing her to suffer and surgery offered little help, so my family and I brought her to a peaceful place. In heaven, Sheba now waits for me, till the day we’ll meet again and she’ll drag me back home.

That same day, I sat with Sheba at her grave telling her how much I loved her. As I sat there, it felt like a bad dream, but I never woke up and had to face reality. I’ve never felt more alone in my life as I did then. She was always there for me, but what would I do without her? As I sat there, I got a sign that she loved me too and everything would be ok.

I noticed the sign, when I looked up to the sky and saw four letters, L, O, V, and a backwards E. Sheba was telling me she loved me too by writing “Love” in the sky. As I stood there, watching, the L and E faded away, leaving just the O and V. Those two letters became one, and made a heart in the sky. After that I knew she’d always be with me, watching over me as my guardian angel.

My angel taught me many things in life but the most important was love for animals and that their love never dies. Her love inspired me to help other animals, and now I’m furthering my knowledge to become a vet. By becoming a vet I can give my love to animals who need it, like I always did with Sheba.

Since Sheba and I met, our life together has been like a car ride, but she reached the final destination first. Now I drive by myself, knowing someday I’ll make it. When I do Sheba will drag me back to her and we’ll be together again forever.