A Serious Problem

Caleb - Negaunee, Michigan

Some people feel that racism is a thing of the past. Some people feel it exists, but is not a problem. I personally feel that it is a huge problem today and needs to be stopped.

The U.S. Constitution states, “No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

In summary, everyone by the power of the law should be treated equal. If this is true, then why does racism still occur today? I’d tell you the answer, but I don’t know. I do however know that race is playing a huge role in the current presidential election.

There are many white Americans today that are planning on voting for John McCain for one simple reason. He is not African American like Barrack Obama. I know a seventy five year old union supporting teacher that is voting against the Democratic Party for the first time in her entire life. When I asked her why she simply said, “I don’t trust them coloreds.”

This doesn’t mean that African Americans are innocent of racism either. In a recent survey on the Howard Stern radio show several African American Obama supporters were asked questions. In these questions the interviewer would state policies of John McCain and treat them like they were Obama’s. They automatically agreed with whatever the interviewer said, strictly because they were told they were Obama’s views. When asked if they really cared about the policies one person said, “Naw man…I just wanna see a brotha get into office.”

I don’t personally think either way of thinking is right. People should not vote based on the appearance of the candidate rather than his policies, plans, and ideas. I feel disgusted that people still struggle with accepting another race as equal. We are all humans and should be treated the same way.

Racism is a very big problem that I believe needs to be stopped. There are no positive consequences and the negative ones are severe and in mass quantity. This is a problem that is way too big to solve in one day or by one person. We all need to make a conscious effort to realize that we are all equal. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Regardless of sex, religion, or race we are all human and should be treated as one.