The Iraq War

Daniel - Ishpeming, Michigan
Themes: question, war

Every night going to sleep dreaming and hoping that your loved one will live to see the next day. This is what has just recently happened to my family. My sister’s fiancé, John, just recently returned from Iraq after being there for a year long tour. My sister and I are very close, and when we first learned that John was going to be going to Iraq, we both became very emotional. John wasn’t just my sister’s fiancé, he was my friend.

I disagree with the Iraq war. When the war first started I was like everyone else, I wanted to get back at all of the people that were responsible for attacking our country. But since that time the war has dragged on way too long and I believe that it should end immediately. My family had to go through some of the toughest times of our life because the country that we are citizens of is too proud. The United States is the most powerful nation in the world. That is the reason we are still in Iraq, if we leave, other countries will view it as a weakness. But is the reputation of our country more important that the lives of innocent people in Iraq and the lives of American soldiers? I think not.

The problem with the war is that we will never win. We went into Iraq to try and make their government into a Democracy, but I highly doubt it is going to work. Right now there is so much violence it is unbelievable, and even if we create a Democracy, the violence will still go on.

Our country has to learn not to have to be the big brother all of the time. We feel like when something goes wrong in other parts of the world that we have to take action. Then why aren’t we helping out with the problems in Africa? I know that I’m not the only person who feels this way. This is the main reason that President Bush has a 31 percent approval rating. But my family has felt the repercussions of this war.

Even though my family was going through a tough time, I knew it had to be worse for John. He was facing all of these things by himself with no family there with him. He also knew that at any time he could be killed, and he would never see his family or fiancé ever again. I know that he felt great emotions, but he isn’t one to show those emotions on his sleeve.

Now my sister is finally happy, she doesn’t have to worry about John possibly getting killed at any second. But that doesn’t take away the fact that this is happening to thousands of families around our nation. This war has to stop, before more innocent Iraqi people and American soldiers die.